History on the Run is a blog dedicated to the past's impact on today. History, foreign policy, economics, and more will be blended up weekly for a spin on today's events or a simply rethinking of our common past. Beyond that this is the blog of the podcast and here can be found the scripts from the shows. The blog will probably be more political than the podcast and will not focus so much on the historical narrative.

The podcast is available on Itunes and is called History on the Run

You may also listen to it here: http://historyontherun.libsyn.com/webpage

A list of all transcripts from the podcast is available here: https://sites.google.com/site/historyontherun/

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Be Glad You Live When You Do

I love History.

I love the characters, the places, the events, and the sheer grandeur of the times. The men who came before me have shocked me, pleased me, taught me, and built the world on which I stand.

However, I would not want to live in the past. The past sucked. Toilets, showers, phones, cars, planes, and all of our modern conveniences make life so satisfying, and have only been around for the past couple hundred years.

But that story has been told many times over. The most important reason I wouldn't want to live in the past is because of the ability for mankind to hate one another. I want you to take a look at this image below:
This is an image from outside of Stalingrad. One of those few photos that really shows you the true horrors of war. This is the place where the Soviets dragged the German dead; where they piled the corpses. The black you see in the background are German dead. 300,000 dead were piled here. This was the Peschanka bone fields. I really don't think I need to say more. One image tells all.

No comments:

Post a Comment